Breaking Amish, is it Reality?

 
Breaking Amish... What do you think?? It's the question I (and my husband) as former Old Order Mennonites, have been asked a lot lately. "Is it real?"  "is that what it's really like?"
 
After telling so many people that we didn't know because we hadn't watched it (no TV) We decided to see if we could find links to the show online.
 
less than 5 minutes into the show it was clear to both of us that this WAS NOT a reality show! I don't deny that the ACTORS may have Amish/Mennonite heritage. But it's been a while since they spoke Dutch, (If they even know the language) The show seems scripted!! And I do wonder how the character 'Kate' has become so polished! It definitely wasn't in Amish country that she became so comfortable in front of the camera!
I don't know where they found these actors, BUT it WAS NOT fresh from Amish country!
 
The boys haircuts ARE NOT Amish!! LOL!!
 
The girls aren't Modest and demure like they would be fresh from Amish country!!
 
The Pa Dutch isn't even mimed, if you notice they never show an actor's face when Pa Dutch is being spoken!
 
All that said, I have enjoyed the show SO FAR.... I am interested in how they are going to develop the characters.
 
I do wish they wouldn't be portraying it as a reality show!! It's FAR from reality!
It's obvious that they TLC is using the Amish to attract more viewers and this makes me sad.
 
As a former Old Order Mennonite, I am here to here to reassure you that Amish and Mennonites Have a whole lot of 'Things' that the 'World'  has lost!
Family as a priority!
God in their schools!
Marriage is forever!
Work ethics!
 
Most Amish and Mennonites are happy with their life, Very few want to get out! And EVEN FEWER that do get out go to the extremes that 'Breaking Amish' portrays!
 
The Amish/Mennonites that do leave their 'original church' often settle into a more liberal Amish/Mennonite church and some even leave the more conservative churches to pursue a deeper relationship with God!
 
All that said:
 
Here are some recent pictures of My (happy) Mennonite family
 
 
 
My Mom and three of her 22 granddaughters! (My Daughter, Hadassah, is in the center)

 
 Cousins playing together!
 
Cousins!!! Hadassah and Melony

 
 
 Being together is Happiness for us!!!
 


What do YOU think about 'Breaking Amish'???
 
DO you have any Questions???
 
I'd be happy to hear from you!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make Fleece fitted Sheets

How to make your own Snicker Bars

Amish Hat Cookies